Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Power of a Series

*walks in, looks around and giggles*

Jackie let me come play today! I'm so excited. *does the snoopy dance*

Hello everyone! My name is Christine d'Abo and my debut novel, The Bond That Ties Us, was just released from Ellora's Cave. *warning promo opportunity* It's an erotic futuristic romance about a woman arrives on a far away Earth colony, only to become sexually overwhelmed by the presence of the colony's alien ambassador. They have to try and fight their desire for each other while trying to defend the colony from an alien invasion. *end promo*
When Jackie invited me to blog on her site today I immediately jumped at the opportunity. It's quite an honor to play here on her blog after having enjoyed her Nightwalker series so much. Which of course got me thinking, what is it about a series that draws a reader in? As a reader, my first reaction is to say the characters. The instant spark between the hero and heroine that leaps off the pages, grabs the reader by the head and yells, "Don't you dare put me down!" Man, I love that. But even more so, I love it when the author takes those characters that I'm drawn to and puts them on a journey. The difference in the journey between a stand alone romance and a series is, for me, the world in which they live.


As a writer, it is very difficult to build a world that is essentially, a secondary character in the book. In my novel, The Bond That Ties Us, I chose to create a planet far away from Earth. I wanted to make it alien, but needed to keep in mind it had to have elements people could relate to. I actually drew out a map of the station so I could keep things straight. I build my world on paper, and now I can continue to reference it. I created a place that I wanted to go and visit, a place I could hang out with the people and get to know them better.

So all of a sudden, my stand alone novel has become a series! The planet, colony and the men, women and aliens who live there had many more stories to tell. The next book which I hope to have out early 2008 is called The Bond That Heals Us, and will continue to explore the planet and push the people who live there to their limits.

Thanks for letting me prattle on here today. And a special thanks to Jackie for sharing her blog space with me. :)


Before I sign off, I'd like to run a contest! Post in the comments what your favourite series is, either books, TV, or movies. The only catch is you have to tell us why you love it! The winner will will an e-copy of The Bond That Ties Us, in whatever format you'd like.
I'll post the winner tonight at 8:00 EST.

Good Luck!


Christine d'Abo


9 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Hi Christine! Love wandering over to see where you've ended up. I think the reason your stand alone story suddenly morphed into a series lies in the strength of the world you've built. When it's got its own personality, it sits up, grabs you by the shirt and says, 'Wait a minute, sister! Do you have any idea what's happening over there? And over there?'

Personally I thought your political/cultural constructs were really solid, which brims over with possibility when you're reading and letting your mind wander around on the colony planet. It's the assurance you have when bringing us along into your world. Makes me feel that I have a 3-D environment in which to play!

Favorite series in the whole universe is the "Star Wars" saga. Took over my life when I was 13 and never let go. And it was a combination of the world that felt so lived-in and possible, as well as the richness of the cultures and political turmoil, besides the characters which sucked me to a galaxy far, far away. I wrote my own "Star Wars" stories while I waited through the endless months and years in between films (3 years each time for both trilogies as they were being made.) I'd enter your contest but I've already been singed by the heat of The Bond That Ties Us. (applies ointment)

Amy C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah Braemel said...

Hi, Christine! I stayed up late last night because your story was one that I 'couldn't put down' and had to keep reading to find out how it ended. As for your story becoming a series, you've created strong secondary characters that I want to know more about - especially that hunky Taber! Definitely looking for his story.

Along with strong characters, I thought you built a believable world - I loved the marketplace, and the differences Haylie noticed between the human and Briel areas of the station.

I'm really looking forward to your Bond that Heals Us ...

Tracy said...

Hi Christine! Your book sounds like it's definitely something I'd like to read - especially after reading Leah & Julia's take on it. I think it's great that it's morphed into a series! Congrats!

Ok - I can't say that I have a favorite series of all time - whether it be movies/tv/books, but I have to say that I love JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood immensely. I love all of the varying degrees of love that the brothers show to both the women in the books and to each other - it's like reading about a family and it sucks you in and makes you feel like you're part of it.

Unknown said...

Tracey I have to agree on the JR Ward series. I only discovered it recently, but I read them all in a week! I can't wait for September and book five. :)

Amy C said...

Hi Christine! I also think your book sounds interesting. I love when authors create their own unique world.
It's difficult to pick just one series that I like best but I think Anne Bishop is high on my list. The Black Jewels trilogy I thought was awesome. The world she created totally fascinated me.

Cherie J said...

Hi Christine,

I think that The Bond That Ties Us sounds awesome. As for my favorite series, that's a tough one. I have a few favorites, Jackie's Nightwalkers, Christine Feehan's Ghostwalker series, Robin Owens Summoning series and Nalini Singh's Psy series. I am sure I am missing someone but those were the first I could think of. Basically, I love them because you get hooked from the very beginning and then they are so hard to put down. I just feel like you just have to brace yourself and enjoy the ride because you feel like you have been transported into another place.

Sue A. said...

I have to say Tanya Huff's Blood Series, because after I discovered one of the books I just felt compelled to read the rest, five books in total. Part of what I enjoyed about the books was that it had a Canadian setting that moved across the country to even my hometown. At that time not many books were set here. With five books the books were able to cover a number of premises and you really got to know the leads. And I also felt satisfied by the end of the series, meaning I wasn't left wanting more because there were things left hanging by the end of the series.

Tracy said...

Christine - I read all of the BDB in a week too! LOL Couldn't stop myself from picking the next one up!!

 

ENTRY | HOME | AUTHOR BIO | CONTACT | BOOKS | BLOG | LATEST NEWS | FUN STUFF
2010-11 Jacquelyn Frank All Rights Reserved. Web Design by Author Web Designs By Tara , Maintenance by George Waterman Web Design | Email Webmaster