I have loved Emma Holly for years. She's one of my favorite authors and I was once very honored to get to advance read some of her work and pass MY opinion on it for a quote!! Imagine that!! She's totally my idol and she wants MY opinion! Well, I wanted to be very fair...but when I found myself yelling at her publisher WHERE'S THE REST OF IT!?!?!? (It was a three part series I believe.) That's when I knew it was yet another gem by Ms. Holly. I'm so delighted she took the time to answer this interview and hope she will come back many times in the future. :)
1. If you could transform into any animal, what would you choose? Please tell us, as only an author can, why you would make this specific choice?
That’s too easy! I would be a cat, because cats are cool and slinky and – most of all – independent. It’s no accident you can’t teach a kitty to fetch your slippers. Well, maybe if you taped some salmon in them first.
2. Please share with us your most embarrassing moment with a fan or another author
When I was still a newly published author, I met Nora Roberts at a Penguin party. Betina Krahn, who’s a real sweetheart, was kind enough to introduce me to her. I was all excited, until suddenly it seemed Betina was going to speak to someone else, leaving me alone with Nora. Nora was being perfectly nice - even funny - but this paralyzed me. How would I make conversation with the Great One all by myself? Was I allowed to leave if I couldn’t think of anything to say? Thankfully, Betina spied the panic on my face and guided me gently off.
3. Which do you prefer to write? The hero or the villain? And why?
Like any reader, I enjoy a good juicy villain, but I prefer to write the hero. It’s like real life, I suppose. I’d rather spend time with someone nice!
4. Do you have someone in your life that you model your heroes after? What about those villains?
My heroes are combination of qualities I admire, plus a few scrapes and flaws to add dimension. Like a lot of writers, now and then I’ll borrow a villainous trait from some annoying person who’s crossed my path. Naturally, everyone close to me is far too wonderful to provide *that* sort of inspiration.
5. I am a woman who is 43 years old and has a crush on her 25-year-old gardener, what naughty secret do you have to share?
Um, offer to lend him your copy of Lady Chatterley’s Lover?
6. I’ll go easy on you this time. What is your sinful pleasure? I have two. Gluttony: where I eat too much Ben & Jerry’s Pistachio Pistachio, and Sloth : where I laze in bed all day watching HGTV (Mike Holmes…mmm nummy!) or Farscape. Please be equally specific.
I’m a bit of a TV addict (and also a Mike Holmes fan!) I’m a fan of expensive imported beer, not so expensive red wine, and too many kinds of sweets to single out just one.
7. Do you sing in the shower? What would Simon Cowell think of your performance? What is your favorite song choice?
Because I have neighbors I don’t want to horrify, I don’t. Not only do I have trouble remembering the words to things, I can only rarely carry a tune. If I were tone deaf, this would be less of a problem. My ideal situation might be a soundproofed shower with a waterproof radio that would always be louder than me. I hate to think I’d be too cowardly to sing at all!
Simon would tear me apart, I’m sure - or maybe just leave the room, shaking his head. I expect the expression on my face would be very poignant.
8. If you could be any of your characters whom would you choose? Tell us why of course.
Nim Wei, the vampire from my Midnight series, springs to mind. She’s not the nicest character I’ve written, or the happiest, but I love how unapologetic and kick-butt she is. She’s always up for a new adventure, and that’s something I admire.
9. Who did it the best? Out of all of your favorite paranormal authors’ works, who wrote the BEST SCENE EVA? Explain.
Laurell K. Hamilton’s first love scene between Anita and Nathaniel in her Anita Blake series is certainly one of my favorites. (I can’t remember which book, but maybe Narcissus in Chains?) That scene struck me as the perfect blend of emotion and hot yet poetic descriptions. And Nathaniel’s butt dimples! They were memorable.
10. You are now a published author, which some would say is the pinnacle for any writer. Now that you have achieved this goal, what is your new dream? What is it that you now aspire to do?
To keep doing it better, of course. Mastering the art of cover design would also be satisfying. Now that I’m indie, playing with covers is my new hobby!
Olivia Forster never dreamed she’d serve as queen of an enchanted city beneath the sea, something her three sexy husbands know. Though she adores her shapeshifter mates, she’s shy by nature, and they can tell the strain of always being “on” is beginning to wear on her. Sneaking away from their responsibilities won’t be easy, but come hell or high water, they’ll treat her to a night she won’t soon forget!
James and Olivia Forster have been happily married for many years. A harmless kink here or there spices up their love life, but they can’t imagine the kinks they’ll encounter while sneaking off to their beach house for a long hot weekend.
Anso Vitul has ruled the wereseals for one short month. He hardly needs his authority questioned because he’s going crazy from mating heat. Anso’s best friend and male lover Ty offers to help him find the human mate his genes are seeking. To Ty’s amazement, Anso’s quest leads him claim not one partner but a pair. Ty would object, except he too finds the Forsters hopelessly attractive . . .
Werewolf cop Adam Santini is sworn to protect and serve all the supes in Resurrection, NY—including unsuspecting human Talents who wander in from Outside.
Telekinetic Ari is hot on the trail of a mysterious crime boss who wants to exploit her gift for his own evil ends, a mission that puts her on a collision course with the hottest cop in the RPD. Adam wants Blackwater too, but mostly he wants Ari. She seems to be the mate he’s been yearning for all his life, though getting a former street kid into bed with the Law could be his toughest case to date.
Emma has been gracious to enough to donate a copy of Hidden Talents to a lucky commenter. Make sure you comment below for your chance to win!!
Contact Emma on her Website
Facebook or Twitter